Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Being one of the GRITS (Girls Raised In The South), I grew up eating Chicken Bog, especially when my mom had a lot to do (like at Christmastime). It's easy,, and with a tossed salad, makes a one-dish meal that always makes'em ask for seconds. Can be made ahead, adding the rice about 20 minutes before dinner.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) whole chickens
- 1⁄4 lb margarine or 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb link sausage, sliced
- 2 cups Uncle Ben's converted brand rice
- 8 ounces Uncle Bens wild rice
- Boil chicken and onion with butter until chicken is done. Remove bones from chicken, discard chicken skin. cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Add in link sausage and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add rice to soak up most of the chicken broth.
This is pretty tasty, but I made some changes according to what I had on hand. I used all chicken drumsticks, and I only had Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice boxes. I used the herbs and spices packets that came with them since the recipe didn't call for any. I'm thinking next time I'll cut the butter WAY down. It's nice but it doesn't need that much in my opinion. Then again, I'm a midwesterner. :)