Recipe by HAPPY TRACE
a real winner on a cold night. you can make it in advance and leave in the frige till your ready to cook. i've been making this for many years and my family still love it. just make sure your meat filling is very thick, otherwise it wont cut properly.
Top Review by flower7
Perfect meal for the snowy & cold weather we are having right now. Being in America required a couple small adjustments... I used 1.1 lbs or 17.6 oz ground beef; your tomato sauce is what we call ketchup (tomato sauce in the USA is a completely different item); in place of the shortcrust pastry, I used a standard pie crust; 230C = 446F and 190C = 374F. Otherwise followed the recipe, except in place of the bouillon cubes I used 1 (heaping) tsp Better than Bouillon beef stock concentrate. Served with more ketchup on the side. So so so good! Thanks for sharing! :)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- milk, for glazing
Directions See How It's Made
- cook onion and minced beef over high heat till brown.
- add 3/4 cup water, stock cubes,sauces and seasonings.
- bring to the boil and cover. simmer for 15 minutes.
- blend flour with remaining water to make a paste.
- add to meat and bring back to the boil, stirring constantly.
- boil for a further 5 minutes till nicely thickened.
- take off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- pre-heat oven to 230c.
- line a greased pie plate with the short pastry and spoon in filling.
- cover with the puff pastry and trim.
- glaze with milk.
- bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 190c and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- serve with green peas and mash potatoes.