Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
a real winner on a cold night. you can make it in advance and leave in the frige till your ready to cook. i've been making this for many years and my family still love it. just make sure your meat filling is very thick, otherwise it wont cut properly.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- milk, for glazing
- cook onion and minced beef over high heat till brown.
- add 3/4 cup water, stock cubes,sauces and seasonings.
- bring to the boil and cover. simmer for 15 minutes.
- blend flour with remaining water to make a paste.
- add to meat and bring back to the boil, stirring constantly.
- boil for a further 5 minutes till nicely thickened.
- take off the heat and allow to cool completely.
- pre-heat oven to 230c.
- line a greased pie plate with the short pastry and spoon in filling.
- cover with the puff pastry and trim.
- glaze with milk.
- bake for 15 minutes then reduce the temperature to 190c and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- serve with green peas and mash potatoes.
Perfect meal for the snowy & cold weather we are having right now. Being in America required a couple small adjustments... I used 1.1 lbs or 17.6 oz ground beef; your tomato sauce is what we call ketchup (tomato sauce in the USA is a completely different item); in place of the shortcrust pastry, I used a standard pie crust; 230C = 446F and 190C = 374F. Otherwise followed the recipe, except in place of the bouillon cubes I used 1 (heaping) tsp Better than Bouillon beef stock concentrate. Served with more ketchup on the side. So so so good! Thanks for sharing! :)
Excellent meat pie. Loved all the flavor from the meat and spices. Used both top and bottom shortcrust but otherwise as written. Did serve with mashed potatoes and peas as suggested. Very filling but easy meal.
Great meat pie. Perfect consistency and great flavor. It was really easy to prepare, too. We enjoyed this comfort meal with some mashed potatoes, gravy and a green salad. I follow flower7's tips on cook temps in F. and tomato sauce=ketchup.