Recipe by Jamie Oliver wannabe
I made this on Australia Day this year (26th Jan) and it was absolutely beautiful. Quick and easy. Only thing I would say is keep an eye on it when in oven as it didn't take as long as recipe said.
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and mix in the sugar.
- Rub in the butter with your (clean) hands until a fine breadcrumb texture is achieved.
- Form a well in the top of the flour, pour in the milk and water and mix well with a knife until the dough comes clean from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth and silky, like a baby's bottom!
- Shape into a moulded loaf, (some people cut a deep cross in the top) and bake in a preheated oven, 200C/400F for 25 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 180C/375F and cook a further 10-15 minutes until done. The loaf should be a light golden brown colour and sound hollow when tapped.