Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I know it’s a long name, but it’s descriptive. The Good News - my DH loves tuna salad. The Bad News - he devours it faster than I can make a batch of std tuna salad. So I found this way to extend the “refrigerator life” of our tuna salad & he likes it better! Despite the expanded bulk, you don’t lose the tuna flavor. This makes a good tuna melt too, but he’s always impatient & slathers it on wheat bread. *Enjoy* ! *Edited to Add* DH prefers fresh tomato to sun-dried, but I esp like Redsie's sub of sun-dried tomato -- so consider it an opt chg you can make w/my blessing. :-)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in vegetable oil or 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs (hard-boiled & diced)
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄4 cup onion (diced, but I often use leek)
- 1⁄4 cup cucumber (seeded & diced)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh tomato (seeds removed & diced)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (grated or shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup iceberg lettuce (thinly sliced, see prep note)
- Combine the 1st 8 ingredients, mix well & chill in refrigerator.
- NOTE: When ready to serve -- If you expect to use the entire mixture, add the full amt of lettuce & serve. However, if you expect to have leftovers, add half the lettuce & then add the rest of the lettuce when you serve any leftovers.
I let Dh pick my tag for your Football Pool win & this is the one he chose. So happy he did! It was just a wonderful tuna salad. Had with a nice cup of soup. Delightful!
A fabulous tuna salad recipe with the emphasis on salad, just the way I like it! I made one slight change, I used mache for the salad leaves and served the tomato on the side. I piled this into a crispy ciabatta bread roll with extra salad on the side, perfect! Made for PAC Spring 2010 and Soups,Salads and Sandwiches photo event in the Photo's Forum. Thanks again Twizzle! FT:-)
Yummy!! I was very surprised at how good this was. All the extra veggies adds so much to an otherwise ho-hum meal. Thanks for sharing!