Recipe by Spyder-man
A southern favorite with some cornbread and fresh garden tomatoes and cukes! I also posted a supreme style version on this site--check it out.
Top Review by Dizzyfreedom
This soup was YUMMY! I started by sauteing onion, carrot, garlic & celery in EVOO because we like the added veggies. Once softened, I added the tomatoes, 2tsp poultry seasoning [which includes thyme] and chili powder. Followed with water, beans, 2 chicken thighs & simmered 2hrs. Added the sherry, 1 additional teaspoon of Chili powder & simmered another hour. We don't use bouillon because of the MSG factor so I increased the spices. DEEELICIOUS!!! Thank you!
- bean soup mix (in the dried bean section of the grocery store)
- 2 pieces boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb kielbasa (sausage)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) cancrushed roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine (cooking is ok but real is better)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash beans.
- Place bouillon, chicken and beans in large pot with water.
- Boil; reduce to slow boil for 45 minutes.
- Sauté onion in oil and add tomatoes and thyme.
- Mix well.
- Pour tomatoes into bean pot.
- Continue to cook at a low boil; add sausage and chili powder.
- Let simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- After that time has passed, turn stove off and stir in the sherry.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.