Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Made this dish in a cooking class I attended. Very good and you can vary the ingredients to make it a little different each time. Has become a family favorite.
- 1 lb fresh green beans
- 2 -4 slices bacon, diced small
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jar pimiento, diced
- 1 pinch thyme
- sliced mushroom (optional)
- almonds (optional)
- water chestnut (optional)
- Break fresh green beans in half and cook trimmed beans in salted water to desired tenderness.
- Saute diced bacon until brown, add onions and garlic and saute until onion is translucent.
- Add cooked beans, jar of pimento's, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
What a delicious recipe!! I added the optional mushrooms and waterchestnuts, but left out the almonds because my kids won't eat those. Very well seasoned and a great way to dress up green beans. Thanks for sharing this.
These green beans are so good! I cooked the beans just until they were crisp-tender. Then I spooned off some of the bacon fat before finishing the dish. I added everything except the pimentos (didn't have any). We liked the crisp almonds and water chestnuts with the beans. Very nice side dish! Thanks JoAnn!
I did not add the jar of pimentos because I didn't have them in the house. I think that the beans tasted pretty good without them. It had a crispy, tasty difference. A sided dish that I will try again.