Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Vegetarian Times.
Good Grains Pancake Mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon salt
Pancakes (use 2 cups mix plus)
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk or 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (or 2 large eggs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- To make the pancake mix: combine all the pancake mix ingredients in a large bowl; stir to mix; divide mixture into thirds (about 2 cups each); place each portion in a separate plastic food storage bag, seal tightly and store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- To make the pancakes: In a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg substitute, and oil; whisk to mix.
- Add in the 2 cups pancake mix; stir to mix just until moistened (do not overmix); the batter will be somewhat lumpy.
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick skillet over med-high heat until a drop of water bounces off the surface.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto the hot griddle; cook until bubbles form.
- When the bottom of each pancake is golden brown, flip the pancake and cook the other side until browned.
- Repeat with the remaining batter; serve pancakes warm.
I was surprised by how thick these pancakes were...the reminded me of the hight of buttermilk pancakes, but they were much denser. I did substitute oat float (ground up oatmeal) for the wheat germ, and cut down the recipe to a single batch. They were ok but a little too dense for me.
These were delicious. The sweetness of the corn meal was perfect against the heart flours. I substituted flax seed for the wheat germ. Thanks for sharing!