Recipe by wife2abadge
From Evelyn Tribole's Healthy Homestyle Cooking. It took only 25 minutes in my oven, but it seems to bake everything more quickly.
Top Review by Pardeemom
This is delicious! It's so moist and gingery, my whole family loved it, including my 3 & 5 year old. I only wish I had some cool whip to go with mine. We will make this again as a quick and low calorie dessert. Thanks!
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml whole wheat flour
- 59.14 ml brown sugar, packed
- 3.69 ml ground ginger
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 118.29 ml buttermilk
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 118.29 ml light molasses
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, buttermilk, applesauce, and molasses.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- Transfer the batter to an 8"x8"x2" baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes and then remove from pan and serve.