Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Evelyn Tribole's Healthy Homestyle Cooking. It took only 25 minutes in my oven, but it seems to bake everything more quickly.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup light molasses
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg whites, buttermilk, applesauce, and molasses.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined.
- Transfer the batter to an 8"x8"x2" baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes and then remove from pan and serve.
This is delicious! It's so moist and gingery, my whole family loved it, including my 3 & 5 year old. I only wish I had some cool whip to go with mine. We will make this again as a quick and low calorie dessert. Thanks!