Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This uses gluten free brown rice cereal. It can also be dairy free if you sub. margarine for the butter. Kids liked this. It does not stay together as well as regular Rice Krispy treats, but I don't think anything will that doesn't have melted marshmallows! BTW it makes enough to put in a 9x13 pan if you don't have a 9x9. Cooking time is freezer time.
- 6 1⁄2 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seed meal
- 1 cup peanut butter or 1 cup almond butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Grease a 9x9 pan with butter.
- Mix cereal, raisins and flax meal together in a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine nut butter, rice syrup, honey and butter. Stir over low heat until melted and combined.
- Pour nut butter mixture over cereal mixture and combine.
- Press into prepared pan, using your hands to press into the corners.
- Put in freezer for 30 minutes to set; cut into bars.
- Keep refrigerated for up to a week.
I have made this recipe over a dozen times ... a winner EVERY time ... I've substituted dried cranberries a few times ... you can't go wrong with this one. Work, friends, family - recipe gets requested a lot. Thanks for a healthy variation of such a classic ... I like this one best!
Good! And a fairly healthy snack. I used all honey and natural peanut butter. The result was pretty crumbly the next day but still tasty. Will make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!