Recipe by PaulaG
My husband was hospitalized several years ago with a heart condition. The hospital provided a cooking class for heart healthy cooking. This recipe was in one of the handouts. I added the light sausage and have used this recipe ever since. Happy holidays!
Top Review by Mimi Bobeck
I can't believe that this is a hospital recipe. Usually those recipes are terrible. this was really good, especially for something that is considered good for you. I would add more sage and perhaps from Fresh Rosemary, but aside from that it's good.
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread
- 8 slices dry whole wheat bread, cubed
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 -4 teaspoons ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat pork sausage (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine crumbled cornbread and cubed whole grain bread in a large bowl.
- Cook sausage in heavy skillet until done.
- Drain off fat if necessary.
- Add onions and celery to sausage and cook until onions are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add sausage mixture to bread, along with chicken broth, seasonings, egg substitute and parsley.
- Stir until well combined.
- The mixture should be the consistency of cornbread batter.
- Turn into a 9" x 13" pan which has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until firm in the center.