Recipe by Barb G.
This is not only good for you, but also good in you--Making it a healthy comfort food. The recipe comes from HeartHealth.com.
Top Review by whtbxrmom
This was good for a healthier version of corn bread. However I had to use a lot of butter on my piece, other wise it was a little on the dry side and not as flavorful as my normal corm muffins. It probably wasn't any healthier by the time I was done. I served with a mexican casserole.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup 1% fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 (1/4 cup) container margarine
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (to grease pan or use pan spray)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°f.
- Mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar,and baking powder;In another bowl, combine buttermilk and egg, beat lightly.
- Slowly add buttermilk and egg mixture to dry ingredients; add margarine, and mix by hand or mixer for 1 minute.
- Pour mixture into an 8x8-inch greased baking dish, bake for 20 to 25 minutes, cool, cut into 10 squares.