Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
It is interesting how he puts the steaks right on the coals, hence the need for a blow dryer. It's a good episode to watch to see how creative he is. **If you don't do it directly on the hot coals, you need to cook it longer, like 2-3 minutes per side (and watch for flare ups). Really, you can make it any way you like! I sometimes use the broiler - heat up a cast iron skillet then place the steaks on it to broil - or just a quick pan fry with some olive oil. Oh, and DEFINITELY pay attention to the way to cut the steak, it makes all the difference! Makes a great marinade on whatever meat you choose :) Prep time includes a one hour marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 4 scallions, washed and cut in 1/2
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, inside cut, cut into 3 equal pieces
- In a blender, put in oil, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, lime juice, red pepper, cumin, and sugar and puree.
- In a large heavy duty, zip top bag, put pieces of skirt steak and pour in marinade. Seal bag, removing as much air as possible. Allow steak to marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Remove steak from bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat charcoal, preferably natural chunk, until grey ash appears.
- Using a blow dryer, blow charcoal clean of ash. Once clean of ash lay steaks directly onto hot coals for 1 minute per side.
- When finished cooking, place meat in double thickness of aluminum foil, wrap, and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove meat from foil, reserving foil and juices.
- Slice thinly across the grain of the meat. Return to foil pouch and toss with juice.
- Serve with grilled peppers and onions, if desired.
This was fantastic! The skirt steak tasted amazing, and marinade was extremely easy. Marinated for about 4 hours. Ended up cheating and just grilled on the gas grill, though. But was still pretty good regardless!
My husband and 2 year old son LOVED this! My husband said that it reminds him of Korean BBQ. I marinate the flank steak whole for about 4 hours in the fridge and cooked it on a gas BBQ for about 5-6 minutes on each side. I wasn't brave enough to try the hair dryer charcoal technique. I didn't have quite enough lime juice so I substituted lemon juice and it worked well. I will definately make this again at my husband's request! Thanks for a super tasty and super easy recipe!
WONDERFUL! I marinated flank steak strips for 3 hours in the fridge. Since I don't have a charcoal grill (only gas) and the deck still has snow, I heated a little oil in my wok to very high heat and seared the drained strips. YUM! Made for Hail to the Chefs-FN Challenge in Cooking Photos.