1/13 Photos of Good Eats Roast Turkey
15 hrs 20 mins
9 hrs 20 mins
Gay Gilmore's Note:
from Alton Brown's show. Brining the bird is the key to moist meat. Made this again this year, only brined in just water instead of stock to save some dough. Again, the bird turned out perfect. Growing up, I hated white meat because it was always dry and grinding on your teeth ;-), now I love white meat. Cook time includes the brining time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 lb) frozen young turkey
For the brine
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1/2 tablespoon candied ginger
- 1 gallon ice water
For the aromatics
- 1Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- 2Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- 3Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5 gallon bucket.
- 4Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a basement) for 6 hours.
- 5Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
- 6A few minutes before roasting, heat oven to 500 degrees.
- 7Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick and cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- 8Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water.
- 9Discard brine.
- 10Place bird on roasting rack inside wide, low pan and pat dry with paper towels.
- 11Add steeped aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage.
- 12Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with canola (or other neutral) oil.
- 13Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500F for 30 minutes.
- 14Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350°F.
- 15Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161°F.
- 16A 14-16 pound bird should require a total of 2-2 1/2 hours of roasting.
- 17Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Good Eats Roast Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (745 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.6
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 308.7 mg
- Sodium 295.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 92.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: