Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Milk Made episode. This is very easy and I really like cottage cheese!
- 1 gallon skim milk, pasteurized
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Pour the skim milk into a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Heat to 120 degrees F. Remove from the heat and gently pour in the vinegar.
- Stir slowly for 1 to 2 minutes. The curd will separate from the whey.
- Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a colander lined with a tea towel and allow to sit and drain for 5 minutes.
- Gather up the edges of the cloth and rinse under cold water for 3 to 5 minutes or until the curd is completely cooled, squeezing and moving the mixture the whole time.
- Once cooled, squeeze as dry as possible and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the salt and stir to combine, breaking up the curd into bite-size pieces as you go.
- If ready to serve immediately, stir in the half-and-half or heavy cream. If not, transfer to a sealable container and place in the refrigerator. Add the half and half or heavy cream just prior to serving.
Wow I can't believe I made cottage cheese! This is fantastic. However sqeezing all that liquid out made it more like ricotta cheese. I added some water and it was great! Thanks so much!