Recipe by Josh&Kate
This is the recipe presented in the Good Eats episode 'Peachy Keen'. Alton recommends it for breakfast. (We enjoyed it this morning!) It makes 4 6-oz cakes.
Top Review by Strawberry Bookworm
I really love these. Their easy, and very tasty. I have yet to use peaches but I've made a batch with nectarines and a batch with raspberries. I think most fruits will work (and I intend to try more). Thanks for posting.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 medium peaches, peeled
- 1 ounce finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (Alton likes Kosher salt)
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- Put 1/2 Tbsp of butter in bottom of each 6 oz ramekin. (4 ramekins).
- Melt the remaining Tbsp of butter and set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar into each ramekin.
- Cut each peach into pieces and evenly divide the pieces in the 4 containers. Sprinkle with ginger if used.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, soda, powder, and salt.
- In another bowl combine melted butter, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir to combine. (Some lumps are expected! Don't over stir.).
- Pour the batter over the peaches, splitting it up evenly between the dishes.
- Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes Alton says the internal temp should reach 190F, but we didn't get there and it was still wonderful.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes Then use a knife to free the batter from the sides of the ramekins and turn upside down on a plate or bowl.
- Add ice cream or whipped cream and serve.