1/1 Photo of Good Eats' Individual Peach Upside-Down Cakes - Alton Brown
This is the recipe presented in the Good Eats episode 'Peachy Keen'. Alton recommends it for breakfast. (We enjoyed it this morning!) It makes 4 6-oz cakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 medium peaches, peeled
- 1 ounce finely chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (Alton likes Kosher salt)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream (optional) or ice cream (optional)
- 1Preheat Oven to 350°F.
- 2Put 1/2 Tbsp of butter in bottom of each 6 oz ramekin. (4 ramekins).
- 3Melt the remaining Tbsp of butter and set aside.
- 4Sprinkle 1 Tbsp of Brown Sugar into each ramekin.
- 5Cut each peach into pieces and evenly divide the pieces in the 4 containers. Sprinkle with ginger if used.
- 6In a mixing bowl combine flour, soda, powder, and salt.
- 7In another bowl combine melted butter, sugar, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- 8Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir to combine. (Some lumps are expected! Don't over stir.).
- 9Pour the batter over the peaches, splitting it up evenly between the dishes.
- 10Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes Alton says the internal temp should reach 190F, but we didn't get there and it was still wonderful.
- 11Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes Then use a knife to free the batter from the sides of the ramekins and turn upside down on a plate or bowl.
- 12Add ice cream or whipped cream and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Good Eats' Individual Peach Upside-Down Cakes - Alton Brown
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.9
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.1 mg
- Sodium 241.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 3.1 g