Recipe by atlfitgirl
I love buffalo wings, but not all the deep frying that is involved. I was watching "Good Eats" one day and Alton Brown's fool proof method to delicious buffalo wings was discovered! I did make a few adjustments to this recipe that helped me out... but stayed true to the original for the most part. This method may be a little time consuming, but the end result of crispy, fall of the bone, tender wings is well worth it. The cook time includes the 1 hour in which the wings rest/cool in the refrigerator before baking.
Top Review by grampy1939
I wanted to try this unusual recipe, which is a two tier cooking method, steaming and baking. It is fabulous! Followed it to the letter . It will be my "go-to" baked wing recipe. The pan that I baked 18 wing peices in had about 3/4 cup of fat, but the wings were so moist! I will try this method with drumsticks!
- 12 whole chicken wings (tips removed and cut at the joint)
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup louisiana hot sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- bleu cheese salad dressing (optional)
- celery (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a 6-quart saucepan with a steamer basket and 1-inch of water in the bottom, over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Place the wings into the steamer basket, cover, reduce the heat to medium and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the basket and carefully pat dry.
- Lay the wings out on a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan lined with paper towels and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Replace the paper towels with parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with a little non-stick spray.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn the wings over and cook another 20 minutes or until meat is cooked through and the skin is golden brown.
- If you are like me and like your wings a little browner and crispier, broil them for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- While the wings are roasting, melt the butter in a small saucepan along with the garlic.
- Pour this along with hot sauce and the optional salt into a bowl large enough to hold all of the chicken and stir to combine.
- Remove the wings from the oven and transfer to the bowl and toss with the sauce.
- Serve warm with bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks if desired.