This is my mother's recipe that she has perfected over the years. She has won many a chili competitions with it. It is very good reheated for lunches and snacks.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground beef (for vegetarians you can substitute tofu for the ground beef and it turns out good.)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 head garlic
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄16-1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on desired spicyness. don't add much more than this it gets real hot)
- salt and pepper
- Brown meat (drain grease).
- Cut up vegetables.
- Put everything in a pot and boil on stove around 3 hours covered(crock pots also work, but I've found it doesn't turn out as good. It is always better heated up the next day).
- That's it.