Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is my mother's recipe that she has perfected over the years. She has won many a chili competitions with it. It is very good reheated for lunches and snacks.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground beef (for vegetarians you can substitute tofu for the ground beef and it turns out good.)
- 1 green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 head garlic
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1⁄2 cup chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄16-1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on desired spicyness. don't add much more than this it gets real hot)
- salt and pepper
- Brown meat (drain grease).
- Cut up vegetables.
- Put everything in a pot and boil on stove around 3 hours covered(crock pots also work, but I've found it doesn't turn out as good. It is always better heated up the next day).
- That's it.
I was spending a cold and rainy day in Atlanta with my 11 yr old daughter and she said "chili would be great tonight daddy". I am a single dad and the only chili I have ever made was straight out of the can, so I decided to do alittle search. I ended up with this recipe, we went to the store for the ingredients and now my daughter thinks that I make the "best" chili she has ever had ("it's the bomb") was her exact words, lol. Thank you for saving me and for such great chili.
Great chili! The best i've made. The 3 hour simmer is key, brings out the flavors. Thanks for posting =)
Tested this as my first recipe in my new pressure cooker. Nice and easy! I topped it with some chopped chives.