Prep 2 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A very filling, healthy recipe! One of our favorites.
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2 cups buttermilk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons molasses or 3 tablespoons honey or 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup tofu, crumbled (optional)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup pumpkin seeds, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds, whole
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup natural bran
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup dark rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 -4 cups all-purpose white flour
- Mix water and sugar together. Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scald milk and stir in butter, molasses, soda and salt. Allow to cool to lukewarm, then stir in tofu, egg and yeast mixture.
- Add seeds, wheat germ, bran, oats, rye flour and whole wheat flour.
- Add enough white flour to form a dough which can be handled.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead 200 times.
- Form into a ball and place into a greased mixing bowl. Grease top of ball. Cover with a dry towel and allow to rise in a warm place until almost double in volume.
- Punch down. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Form dough into 2 large loaves and place in greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- Cover and allow to rise until double in volume.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Turn out of pans.
- Brush tops of loaves with small amount of butter.
- Cool on a rack.