1/3 Photos of Good and Good for You Peanut Butter Muffins
Caryn Dalton's Note:
This recipe is a good source of protein, whole grains and many vitamins and minerals but that isn't what my family is thinking when they are served these, warm..they are just thinking YUMMY! If you are serving these to toddlers, please make sure your child is old enough to have honey and peanut butter. My toddler LOVES them. They are moist and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (not instant, but quick cooking is fine)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (powder is fresh when you see air bubbles when added to some warm water)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter (or plain is fine)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (or butter flavored Crisco)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk (or skim)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Mix your dry ingredients together. I like to use a whisk to stir dry ingredients quickly and evenly.
- 3Add peanut butter and butter (or fat substitute) and mix until it becomes coarse crumbs.
- 4In another bowl, beat 2 egg whites just until they are foamy then add your honey and milk. TIP: spray your measuring cup with non stick spray then measure your honey -- when you pour it out of the cup the non stick will cause it to slide out easier. Then, use the same cup for your milk.
- 5Add wet ingredients to dry and stir only until fully moistened. Do not overmix. Let batter stand for a few minutes to thicken.
- 6Meanwhile, spray a mini (24 holes) or regular (12 holes) muffin pan WELL with nonstick spray because these will stick if you don't (even if you are using non-stick metal).
- 7For a mini muffin pan, I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and for large, 1/2 cup to scoop batter and pour into muffin cups. Just makes things easier and less messy.
- 8Cook approx 11 minutes for mini muffins and 15 minutes for large. They are done when a toothpick inserted into middle muffin does not show any crumbs, but is moist. Do not overbake.
- 9As with many baked muffins and breads, these can be frozen for up to a month. I always store them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator so I don't know how they keep if left out.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Good and Good for You Peanut Butter Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (30 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.9
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.8 mg
- Sodium 249.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat creamy peanut butter