Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've never actually cooked with barley myself, but I love the stuff!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup barley
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon or 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in the water
- 2 cups water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in small skillet; cook and stir barley in butter 1 minute (do not allow barley to become brown).
- Pour into ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover tightly; bake about 1 hour or until barley is tender.
I love barley and other grains so had to try this. I also knew this would be too bland for me. So I spiced it up with a bit of cumin, garam masala and hot saauce. Turned out great. Thanks for the post Bec