Recipe by NannyMarvel
I have never mastered the art of a wonderful pie crust so I use frozen pre-made crusts. This is one of the recipes on the back of one of these packages and turns out one of the best applie pies I have ever tasted.
- 2 (18 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 1064.65 ml granny smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml light brown sugar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 9.85 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground cloves
- 22.18 ml cornstarch
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 44.37 ml apricot preserves or 44.37 ml apricot jam, heated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, salt, cinnamon and ground cloves. Let stand for 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to two hours).
- Strain apples, reserving liquid. Toss apples with cornstarch before transferring to a frozen pie crust.
- Bring reserved juices to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir until mixture reduces to a syrup.
- Add butter to syrup and stir until melted.
- Pour mixture over apple slices in pie crust.
- With rolling pin, roll second pie crust flat. Using a decorative shape cookie cutter, cut out holes in dough; top pie with crust and crimp edges together to seal.
- Brush top of pie with beaten egg.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes or until juices bubble and apples and crust are a golden brown.
- Warm apricot preserves on low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Drizzle over the tope of the pie.