1 hr 45 mins
I have never mastered the art of a wonderful pie crust so I use frozen pre-made crusts. This is one of the recipes on the back of one of these packages and turns out one of the best applie pies I have ever tasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 4 1/2 cups granny smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves or 3 tablespoons apricot jam, heated
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, salt, cinnamon and ground cloves. Let stand for 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to two hours).
- 3Strain apples, reserving liquid. Toss apples with cornstarch before transferring to a frozen pie crust.
- 4Bring reserved juices to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir until mixture reduces to a syrup.
- 5Add butter to syrup and stir until melted.
- 6Pour mixture over apple slices in pie crust.
- 7With rolling pin, roll second pie crust flat. Using a decorative shape cookie cutter, cut out holes in dough; top pie with crust and crimp edges together to seal.
- 8Brush top of pie with beaten egg.
- 9Place on baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes or until juices bubble and apples and crust are a golden brown.
- 10Warm apricot preserves on low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Drizzle over the tope of the pie.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Good and Easy Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 425.3
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 515.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 35.5 g
- Protein 3.3 g