Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I have never mastered the art of a wonderful pie crust so I use frozen pre-made crusts. This is one of the recipes on the back of one of these packages and turns out one of the best applie pies I have ever tasted.
- 2 (9 inch) deep dish pie shells
- 4 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, peeled cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves or 3 tablespoons apricot jam, heated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugars, salt, cinnamon and ground cloves. Let stand for 30 minutes (or refrigerate up to two hours).
- Strain apples, reserving liquid. Toss apples with cornstarch before transferring to a frozen pie crust.
- Bring reserved juices to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir until mixture reduces to a syrup.
- Add butter to syrup and stir until melted.
- Pour mixture over apple slices in pie crust.
- With rolling pin, roll second pie crust flat. Using a decorative shape cookie cutter, cut out holes in dough; top pie with crust and crimp edges together to seal.
- Brush top of pie with beaten egg.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 60 minutes or until juices bubble and apples and crust are a golden brown.
- Warm apricot preserves on low heat, stirring constantly, until melted. Drizzle over the tope of the pie.