Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
A recipe I found in a community cookbook a while back. This is one of those 'I'll make this someday' recipes. I'm putting it on Zaar for safekeeping.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2⁄3 cup white corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 ounces butterscotch chips
- 2 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the base together and press into an unbuttered pan, 9 x 13, and bake 12 to 16 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle 3 cups marshmallows on the base mixture and place back in the oven until marshmallows puff up.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- While cooling, mix the corn syrup, butter, vanilla and butterscotch chips over low heat , stirring constantly until topping is smooth. Remove from heat and add immediately the Rice Krispies and Peanuts.
- Spread topping over the cooled base.
- Cut into squares.
These were really good and a big hit with everyone. I made half with the butterscotch topping and the other half with some chocolate chips added in - they were both good, but I preferred the original version. I was afraid these would be overly sweet, but they were just fine. Thanks for sharing!
These bars got "2 thumbs up" from everyone in the house last night. We loved them! I can see why the recipe suggests making this into 24 servings because they are rich and very sweet but oh so good! I can't wait to try them again and use 6 oz. of butterscotch chips with 6 oz. milk chocolate chips. :D Thanks for the great recipe, Mary!