Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Old Timey bread and sausage dressing for Turkey... This recipe can be made with different breads, liquids, and sausage...It's FANTASTIC with turkey gravy! The "smushing" is a term my great grandmother used when passing this down, verbally.
- 24 ounces white bread, toasted and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 2 cups chicken broth, warmed
- Place cubed bread toasts in a large bowl.
- In a 10 or 12in skillet, melt butter, add celery and onion and saute till soft - about 5 minutes.
- Place cooked celery and onion in the same bowl as the bread, and in the same skillet add the sausage.
- Cook and crumble the sausage until browned. Do NOT drain off the rendered fat
- Combine the sausage and fat, salt, and pepper with the cubed bread toast and vegetables.
- Pour in the warmed chicken broth a little at a time, until the bread is moistened and workable enough to be "smushed" together with the other ingredients.
- Spoon into a casserole dish and warm through at 350 for about 30 minutes.
- *This dish is freezeable and our family has stuffed the bird as well with this dressing -- .