Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is named after a late Qing Dynasty governor of Sichuan, Ding Baozhen, who is said to have particularly enjoyed eating it. Renamed during the Cultural Revolution because it was associated with an imperial bureaucrat, The original name was returned in the 1980's. This dish is a favorite of westerners and a dish common all over China.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 4 dried red chilies, crushed
- 1 teaspoon whole szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons black vinegar or 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 5 scallions, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon peeled ginger, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts or 1/2 cup cashews
- 1In a bowl mix wine, soy sauce, water, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, vinegar, sugar. Set aside.
- 2Next toss cubed chicken with egg white and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- 3Heat up peanut oil in a wok and add the crushed red chilies and whole Sichuan peppercorns. Saute until chillies begin to turn brown. Remove chilies mixture and set aside.
- 4Place coated chicken in wok over high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- 5Pour out oil, leaving about a tablespoon in wok, reduce heat, and add ginger, scallions, and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat to low and add wine mixture, stirring for about 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- 7Add chicken, nuts, and chilies mixture. Stir over heat for about 4 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gong Bao Ji Ding (Peanut Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 790.7
- Calories from Fat 538
- Total Fat 59.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 1189.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 37.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: