Recipe by Izzy Knight
This is one of those cookies that you just can't wait for it to cool to pop in your mouth. It's unbelievably good. Really.
Top Review by CongoGirl
I will definitely make these again to use up my carrots. Like the previous reviewer, I left off the frosting and just ate them as cookies. Next time I will add nuts and try replacing some of the butter with apple sauce to reduce fat.
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 cup raisins
- cream cheese, filling (I found Lennie's frosting Copycat Cinnabon Rolls With Icing works really well but you can use your favorite recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 2 baking sheet.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted, combine sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger; stir to combine.
- Gradually add flour to butter mixture; mix on a low speed until just blended.
- Mix in oats, carrots, and raisins.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes (important! no cheating).
- Using a 1/2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets, leaving 2 inches between cookies.
- Transfer to oven, and bake until browned and crisped, rotating pan halfway through baking to ensure even color, 10 to 12 minutes.
- let it cool (even if you can't wait).
- Repeat baking process with remaining dough.
- Once cooled completely, use an spatula to spread about 2 teaspoons of cream-cheese filling onto a cookie.
- Sandwich together with a second cookie.
- Repeat with remaining cookies.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.