Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
A very flexible chicken soup...optional additions include a cup of diced celery, 1/2 cup cooked corn, 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes or rice. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 3 lbs stewing chicken
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups okra, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups tomatoes, pulp
- parsley, chopped
- 4 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked rice
- Clean chicken and cut into serving pieces.
- Dredge lightly with flour and saute with onion and okra in butter.
- When chicken is nicely browned, add tomatoes, parsley and water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add water as required when cooking (if thinner soup is preferred, water may be increased).
- Add cooked rice to gumbo as it is served.