Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy-to-do gumbo from the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb okra, chopped (fresh is best)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups stock
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (canned is fine)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb veal, diced
- 1⁄2 lb ham, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- Melt butter in saucepan; add flour and stir constantly until flour is golden.
- Fry veal and ham together; add to roux.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for an hour.