Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Substitute cooked, shelled shrimp for crab, if you wish. From the Creole chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat (8-12 whole crabs, cooked and meat picked out)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb okra, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 quart water, boiling
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- Sauté onion in butter until soft and translucent.
- Add okra and cook until tender.
- Add next for ingredients and crab meat; cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with rice.