Golumpki - Polish Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Take as much core out of the head of cabbage as possible. Place in a microwavable bowl with 1/2 cup of water. Put in microwave. Set for about 10 minutes. Carefully take out of microwave and pull off as many leaves that will come off easily. Repeat process for more leaves.
- Place head of cabbage in a pot of boiling water. Be very careful taking the head out to take a few leaves off at a time and replacing it back into the water. I use a large serving fork to stab it in the core area.
- Put your ground beef in a large bowl. Add 2 cups cooked rice, the minced onion, 1 cup of water, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or double if you like that flavor. Mix with hands. Take a hefty size tablespoon full and place on stem end of a cabbage leaf. Bring each side of leaf over into middle and roll. Place roll in baking dish (sprayed with PAM) with the seam side down. Repeat until all meat is used.
- Pour your tomato juice into a bowl. Add the mushroom soup and whisk these together until smooth. Pour over top of rolls. An added delicious treat is to place sliced kielbasa around the cabbage rolls if you wish. Cover with foil and bake about 1 1/2 hours on 350 degrees.
- These are great served with mashed potatoes and peas.
- They are even better a few days later. You can bake these ahead and put them in the refrigerator 2-3 days. The flavor all comes together.