Russian deliciously mouthwatering cabbage rolls that takes about 2hrs tp prepare, and as many to forget.
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- 2 large yellow onions, minced
- 4 tablespoons dill, and or parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, salt and garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 cups saved cabbage cooking liquid
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Cut out and discard cabage core.
- Place cabbage bottom down in a pot of boiling water.
- Boil cabbage taking leaves off one by one from pot as they wilt. Trim or pound the large vein on the back of each leaf. Allow to cool SAVE 4 cups cooking liquid.
- Mix together meat, rice, half the minced onion, dill/parsley, pepper, salt and 3 Tbsp of cooking liquid.
- Stuff leave with suffing mixture.
- Brown on all sides in a deep pan with the olive oil.
- Arrange browned cabbage rolls in 1-2 rows in a baking dish, add bay leaves.
- In same pan used to brown cabbage rolls bring 2 cups cabbage liquid to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp tomatoe paste, can crushed tomatoes, 4 Tbsp of sour cream, remaining onion, add salt, pepper and dill to taste. simmer for 5-10 minute.
- Pour Sauce over Gollubtsy and if necessary and more cabbage liquid to cover.
- Place unused cabbage leaves on top, cover with sour cream, shake slightly and bake in pre heated oven for 1 hour.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and minced dill or parsley.