Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
Traditional Russian recipe from a friend of my grandmother's and found in her recipe box.
- 10 prunes, pitted
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 large white cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 cups cooked rice
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons dill, chopped
- Soak the prunes and raisins in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
- Separate the cabbage leaves, blanch in a little warm water, drain and leave to cool.
- Mix the ground meats with the rice, salt, and pepper.
- Place 4 tbsp of the mixture on each cabbage leaf, roll up and tie with kitchen string. Fry each cabbage roll on all sides in the butter. Place the rolls in a flameproof dish. Remove string.
- Beat 1 cup of the sour cream with the flour, and add with the raisins and prunes to the pan juices, boil briefly, and pour over the rolls.
- Cover and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Mix remaining sour cream and dill. Serve with cabbage rolls.