- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork or 1⁄2 lb veal
- 1⁄2 cup rice, partly cooked
- 1 egg
- 1 medium head of cabbage, not firm
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash celery salt
- 1 small onion
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
Directions See How It's Made
- Buy a medium head of cabbage,that is not firm.Remove core from whole head of cabbage with a sharp knife.Scald or par-boil the cabbage in boiling salted water.Remove and allow to cool before handling.Than remove a few leaves at a time,and trim down the the thick ridge on back of leaves to make it easier for rolling.
- Wash rice after partially cooked (cook about 10 minutes) in salted water,strain and run cold water through rice in strainer.At this stage rice is about half cooked.
- Chop and saute onion in butter until it becomes transparent.
- Combine with meat,eggs rice,and seasonings,mix well.
- Spread each leaf (on thick end) with the meat mixture to about 3/4 inch thickness,fold the two opposite sides and roll,starting with the thick end.
- Place rolls in buttered casserole dish and pour over cabbage rolls a can of tomato soup diluted and bake covered at 325 degrees for about 2 hours or until brown and tender.Check in about an hour to make sure tomato soup did not cook out add more if needed.After 2 hour check cabbage rolls for being done if still pink,cook and check every 15 minutes till done.
- These rolls may be cooked or baked in sauerkraut if perferred.