Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is the perfect golden yellow cake which can beat any boxed golden yellow cake any day. People won't believe that you make the cake from scratch.
- 6 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup butter (that's 2 sticks softened or at room temp)
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used clear but regular dark is fine)
- 7 drops yellow food coloring (I used liquid but powder works fine too)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with shortening(or nothing if you have a really good nonstick cake pan) and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add 2 tablespoons of the 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in 1 of the 2 bowls. Then mix the egg yolks one by one, completely mix them--do not add another one until the one before is completely mixed.
- Get another bowl and sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together. Stir to distribute everything good. Slowly mix it together with the stuff in the other bowl. When it starts to get dry or hard to mix with the mixer add the milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and vanilla. Add about seven drops of yellow food coloring or until you get the perfect golden yellow. Mix completely and very well, leave no unmixed cake flour on the sides--believe you me it does not make a good cake having droplets of or little chunks of cake flour in the cake so make sure you scrape the sides down good and mix it in well.
- Pour into the prepared pans leaving enough space to rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick into the cake and it comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- You can make a really good chocolate or vanilla frosting for the cake. Or you can buy the frosting.
This is the best yellow cake recipe I have ever made. My husband said it is the moistest cake I have ever made. I will never use another yellow cake recipe.
I just made this for my mom's birthday and it's great! I used vanilla bean yogurt which made it super yummy. I used about 11 drops of food coloring and it was still pretty white, so my food coloring is probably weaker than whatever you use. Next time I'll do more so it's more golden. I was a little confused by the directions, but I love the results! A lot of egg yokes though! Thanks for the recipe!
Very good yellow layer cake. Moist and tender. I used sour cream in place of the yogurt. Used only 4 drops of yellow food coloring. Baked approximately 40 minutes. Used this recipe for my husband's birthday cake...yellow cake is his favorite. Frosted the cake with Recipe #89207. Thank you for a great recipe.