Recipe by Miss Dee 212
This is the perfect golden yellow cake which can beat any boxed golden yellow cake any day. People won't believe that you make the cake from scratch.
- 6 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup butter (that's 2 sticks softened or at room temp)
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour (sifted)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used clear but regular dark is fine)
- 7 drops yellow food coloring (I used liquid but powder works fine too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with shortening(or nothing if you have a really good nonstick cake pan) and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add 2 tablespoons of the 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil in 1 of the 2 bowls. Then mix the egg yolks one by one, completely mix them--do not add another one until the one before is completely mixed.
- Get another bowl and sift the cake flour, salt, and baking powder together. Stir to distribute everything good. Slowly mix it together with the stuff in the other bowl. When it starts to get dry or hard to mix with the mixer add the milk, yogurt, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and vanilla. Add about seven drops of yellow food coloring or until you get the perfect golden yellow. Mix completely and very well, leave no unmixed cake flour on the sides--believe you me it does not make a good cake having droplets of or little chunks of cake flour in the cake so make sure you scrape the sides down good and mix it in well.
- Pour into the prepared pans leaving enough space to rise. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until you can stick a toothpick into the cake and it comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- You can make a really good chocolate or vanilla frosting for the cake. Or you can buy the frosting.