1/3 Photos of Golden Winter Squash
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
A beautiful fall side. Nicely spiced comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs winter squash, about 1-2 (acorn, or butternut)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- fresh mint or flat leaf parsley (optional) or rosemary (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2Prick the squash with the tip of a knife and place in a pan in the oven.
- 3Bake until tender when pierced, about 50 to 60 minutes, depending on size.
- 4Or microwave 20 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven and, when cool enough to handle, cut in half. Scoop out the seeds and fibers and discard. Scoop out the flesh and blend it till smooth adding a but of water or orange juice to help puree. You should have about 3 cups purée.
- 6Warm the olive oil or butter in a sauté pan over low heat. Add the onion and sauté until very soft and sweet, about 15 minutes,if needed add brown sugar.
- 7Add the puréed squash, season with salt and pepper, and add lemon zest, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- 8Cook over very low heat, stirring often, until dry, about 5-10 minutes. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with mint, parsley, or rosemary, if you like.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Winter Squash
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.8
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g