Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
In '1,000 Vegan Recipes' by Robin Robertson
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 small yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 c. cooked)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup wheat gluten flour
- 4 burger rolls
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the cooled onion mixture to a food processor.
- Add the chickpeas, salt, and pepper; pulse to mix.
- Add the flour and process to combine.
- Shape the mixture into 4 burgers, about 4 inches in diameter.
- If the mixture is too loose, add a little extra flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Add the burgers and cook until firm and browned on both sides, turning once, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve the burgers on the rolls with condiments of choice.
- *Instead of frying the burgers, you can bake them at 375° on a lightly oiled baking sheet until firm, about 12 minutes.