Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Mrs Joshi
I was seeking a quick, inexpensive and eggless recipe for vanilla cake that I could bake to test out a couple of frostings. This worked out very well. The only things I did differently were to decrease the oil to 6 tablespoons and to bake it into mini-cupcakes (this made 24, plus about 4-5 regular cupcakes with the leftover batter). The minis were done in 12 minutes and the regular cupcakes took about 17 minutes in my oven. I have other eggless vanilla cake recipes I like better than this one, but they take more work and ingredients. This one is great for when you have a sudden cake craving. :-)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray an 8-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in milk, oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Whisk in vinegar until just blended.
- Immediately pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Can eat as is, or dust with powdered sugar or top with frosting.