Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°; spray an 8-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add in milk, oil, and vanilla to the flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- Whisk in vinegar until just blended.
- Immediately pour batter into pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a pick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Can eat as is, or dust with powdered sugar or top with frosting.
I was seeking a quick, inexpensive and eggless recipe for vanilla cake that I could bake to test out a couple of frostings. This worked out very well. The only things I did differently were to decrease the oil to 6 tablespoons and to bake it into mini-cupcakes (this made 24, plus about 4-5 regular cupcakes with the leftover batter). The minis were done in 12 minutes and the regular cupcakes took about 17 minutes in my oven. I have other eggless vanilla cake recipes I like better than this one, but they take more work and ingredients. This one is great for when you have a sudden cake craving. :-)
Simple and tasty. I made cupcakes for my son's birthday and this recipe worked great. Not too sweet, which we like because we are adding frosting. Tastes way better than store bought flavorless birthday cake. I added a pinch more baking soda and a little extra vinegar because I live on the east coast and I've noticed baking recipes need a little more lift here. I baked the cupcakes 17 minutes.
Not really a review, but this is not a true Wacky Cake recipe, The actually Wacky Cake recipe is Vegan, has no milk in it. So if you are looking for the original Wacky Cake recipe, look somewhere else, this isn't it