Recipe by GrandmaIsCooking
One of my adopted recipes, this pie is a bit out of the ordinary. It did not turn out like I expected, but I enjoyed it. Try it and see if you like it too. Preparation time includes cooling time for the pineapple layer.
Top Review by LonghornMama
We enjoyed this. A layer of pineapple filling topped with a cheese cake-like cottage cheesey layer. A very lowfat pie which my kids even enjoyed. Had some lowfat cottage cheese to use up, also used nonfat milk, and a pie crust made from oil. So definitely nothing to feel too guilty about. Used an Emile Henry deep dish pie plate which was perfect. A regular 10-inch plate might work, but it would be tight. Next time I would use crushed pineapple in syrup or add extra sugar, I think it could have been a tad sweeter. We preferred this pie chilled. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) cans pineapple, Crushed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese, creamed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 10-inch unbaked deep-dish pie shell
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the undrained pineapple, 1/2 cup of sugar, cornstarch and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine the 2/3 cup of sugar and butter in a bowl, beating, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, until well blended.
- Add the flour, cottage cheese, vanilla, and salt, beating until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the milk.
- Pour the pineapple mixture into the unbaked pie shell and then gradually pour the cottage cheese mixture over the pineapple layer, being careful not to disturb the first layer.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 325 Degrees F. and bake for 45 minutes more, or until a knife inserted halfway between the center and edge comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.