1/1 Photo of Golden-Topped Fish Fillets
This is one of the most outstanding toppings for fish fillets. It does not overpower the fish, and tastes absolutely great. The recipe is from a very popular South African cookbook writer, Lynn Bedford Hall. I cannot count how often I've made this topping -- regardless of how the fish was prepared. But I give her recipe with a few tiny adjustments. This is for people who do not like fish!! Read the recipe before you start. It's quick and easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg white, largest size
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, thick (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated, nice quality
- 2 teaspoons mustard, any type
- 1Before you start cooking the fish, mix the topping.
- 2Whisk the egg white until stiff.
- 3Mix the mayonnaise, cheese and mustard, and fold in the stiffly whisked egg white.
- 4To cook the fish, use any one of two methods:.
- 5Lightly flour the fish fillets, and fry in a skillet in oil over high heat for a couple of minutes per side -- rather underdone than overdone, as it will keep on cooking with this method.
- 6OR sprinkle lemon juice over the fillets, and brush 1 tablespoon butter over each one.
- 7Dust the fish fillets with a mixture of salt, flour and chopped herbs.
- 8Grill in your oven under the grilling element until top of fillets turn white: only a few minutes. Turn carefully, give it another minute, and remove. Do not overcook, which is death to fish!
- 9Remove dish from oven, spread the topping over the fish fillets, then put back under a (hot) oven grill, and grill until golden brown. This happens very quickly, so keep watching it!
- 10This makes 4 servings, with buttered baby potatoes, a bright vegetable, salad, and chilled wine!
- 11**If the fish sounds too much for 4 people, keep in mind that fish and all seafood shrink in cooking.
Browse Our Top South African Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden-Topped Fish Fillets
Serving Size: 1 (303 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.8
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 177.6 mg
- Sodium 1198.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 56.9 g