Recipe by justcallmetoni
Adopted in September 2006, this quick bread looks simply delicious. The original chef's comment: The glaze made with fresh tangerine juice gives this bread moistness and flavor. The texture is cakelike and it keeps well, too!
Top Review by moxie
What a delightful little bread! Great texture, and just sweet enough to be perfect with a morning cup of coffee. I switched out the walnuts with some miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips, which seemed to work well. And juicing tangerines is an excellent job for pint-sized kitchen assistants helpers!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated tangerine, rind
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed tangerine juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour one 8 1/2- by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan or two 5 3/4- by 3 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and 3/4 cup of sugar together until blended.
- Add the eggs and beat until fluffy and light.
- Add the tangerine rind.
- In another bowl, stir the 1 1/4 cups of flour and the baking powder and salt together until blended.
- Toss the walnuts with the 1 tablespoon of flour until all the pieces are lightly coated.
- Blend the flour mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk.
- Fold the walnuts into the batter until blended.
- Turn into the prepared pans or pan.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes for small loaves, 55 to 60 minutes for the medium loaf, or until they test done.
- Meanwhile, combine the juice and sugar in a small pan to make the glaze.
- Heat just until the sugar is dissolved.
- Poke the hot loaves with a skewer or toothpick in several places and pour the syrup over them.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and finish cooling on a rack.
- This recipe yields one medium or two small loaves.