1/1 Photo of Golden Sweet Cornbread
CHEF GRPA's Note:
If you like sweet cornbread, this is the recipe for you! My wife grandmother made this for her as a child, and now it's is the family's favorite. THIS IS JUST AS EASY, BETTER TASTING AND LOWER IN FAT. USE IT FOR A THANKSGIVING GATHERING OR JUST FOR EVERY DAY. YOU ARE DEFINITELY IT FOR A TREAT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Preheat oven to 400*F. Spray or lightly grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- 22. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 33. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- 4My Note: I use 1/3 Celsius white and 1/3 Celsius brown sugar, and I let the cornmeal soak in the milk for 10-15 minutes before mixing with the other ingredients. I've also replaced the vegetable oil with melted butter, which works very well.
- 5This works as cornbread muffins, too! I am not a huge fan of making cornbread as a round or square cake shape… they just are too messy that way. Instead I like to pour the batter into muffin tins lined with cupcake/muffin papers. This recipe works great as muffins. I pour the batter almost to the very top of the paper liners then I bake this at 375 degrees, but I have a convection oven so the heat is usually 25*F. less than the normal temperature… so you can cook it at the suggested heat of 400*F. with a normal oven. It takes 20-23 minutes for a toothpick to come out clean. The tops are always nicely browned and the muffins are perfectly cooked. The only other minor change I make is I use a medium grind cornmeal that is a little more course. It makes the cornbread more like a true “comfort food”. If you don’t like that extra crunch then use a finer grind. EVERYONE loves this-.
- 6Additional options: I can bake it in a muffin pan (bake only 15 minutes); I can cut back on my sugar to maybe a round 1/2-cup (or less). I can add just a smidgen more salt. I can add a 1/2 t. vanilla. Add I can also add just a little bit more oil (so it's not quite so crumbly). The next time I bake this for our gang, I'm going to add all of the above.
- 7I did cut down on the sugar a little. (It's still sweet) Delicious with butter and honey on it. Fantastic accompaniment to soup or stew or beans or even makes a great breakfast!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Sweet Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.8
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 18.3 mg
- Sodium 319.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 3.0 g