Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my family's favorite cornbread. It is a sweet cornbread. I like to sift the flour and baking powder together to prevent clumps and use an 8x8 glass plan. I got this from AllRecipes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, yellow
- 2⁄3 cup sugar, white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (1% is ok)
- 1⁄3 cup oil, vegetable
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray or lightly grease a 9-inch round or square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in egg, milk and vegetable oil until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
My DH and I love this recipe! I like to make it special by adding either a grated zucchini or a chopped red pepper. Both add a nice color and extra moisture. Do note that you cannot replace baking soda for the baking powder (even at a reduced amount)! I tried this once when I was out of baking powder and yuck! Just follow the recipe and you won't be disappointed :).
Awesome cornbread recipe! I doubled the amount to make two 9-inch pans and cut a little on the sugar. This recipe is really good with milk and fruit for breakfast. Highly recommend it!