This is from my Low-Fat Moosewood cookbook. Your house will smell like an Indian restaurant! The soup is a beautiful dark gold color. Don’t use green or brown lentils, it just won’t be the same. This makes a lot, but you can freeze it. Even my one year old loves this! Serve topped with plain yogurt and chopped cilantro. Pass pita bread.
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 cup dried yellow split peas
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup apple, peeled, cored and cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a soup pot, sauté the onions in the oil for about 8 minutes, until golden, stirring frequently.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, coriander and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add the split peas, water, sweet potatoes, apples, cinnamon, and chili powder, cover and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the split peas are tender.
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, lime juice and soy sauce.
- When the split peas are tender, add the tomato mixture.
- Puree the soup in a blender (in batches) or with a stick blender, adding more water if needed.
Tastes wonderful. Since I doubled the recipe it took a while to prepare the vegetables- peeling and chopping sweet potatoes and onions, grinding ginger, cutting the tomato and the like. I used the blender and the result is a creamy, golden soup. Low calorie. Worth the effort.
Excellent soup! I expected the color to be more yellow, but it is a lovely vibrant orange. All of the flavors work really well together and make this soup spicy (but not overly hot), savory and a little sweet --- nicely balanced! I used gala apples, but I would love to try this with something more pungent next time, like granny smith. A great, rich, filling and healthy soup that the whole family enjoyed (19 months and up!) Thanks!
Delicious! So much flavour and the texture is lovely. I made the full batch so I could freeze some for busy weeknights later. I'll definitely be recommending this recipe to friends and family. Thank you.