Recipe by Mirj
Not something you would ever find in a fast food restaurant, these chickies pack a punch of flavor, and are very pretty too, on their bed of fresh spinach. For couth guests only! ;-) Note: I get the greatest grated ginger (how's that for alliteration?) by freezing the ginger root first and then grating it on a Microplane zester.
Top Review by twissis
I made 2 cosmetic chgs, but did not disturb the heart of your recipe. I used wings instead of breast meat & I did not serve on fresh spinach as I am not always able to get it & this was 1 of those times. Using wings did raise the oven cooking time to get them fully cooked (no fault of the recipe). The meat was well-flavored by the marinade & the crunch from the sesame seed more welcome than I thot it would be. The ginger dressing was strongly lemon-flavored & thin. A longer reduction time & adding sugar or more orange juice will solve that for us. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 3 large egg whites (sometimes I just use two eggs)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 lb raw chicken breast (cut into bite-size pieces, but you can make them larger if you want, I'm not going to force you)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (drinking, not cooking)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 orange, juice of (about 1/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds, mixed with 4 tablespoons black sesame seeds (don't drive yourself crazy getting the black seeds, just double the white ones)
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed, dried, and stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the marinade first:.
- Combine egg whites, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, and scallion. Whisk together until frothy.
- Add the chicken and marinate, refrigerated, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the Ginger Dressing:.
- Combine the ginger, soy sauce, sherry, garlic, sesame oil, chili flakes, scallions, lemon juice and orange juice in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside while preparing the chicken.
- Sesame coating:.
- Mix the two types of seeds together. That's it.
- Cooking the chicken:.
- Drain the excess liquid from the chicken and dip them in the sesame seed coating, covering them completely on all sides.
- Place the chicken pieces on a tray in the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking to allow the coating to dry.
- This would be a good time to start preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the canola oil in a heavy pan.
- Saute chicken on each side until crispy on the outside. Use tongs to turn them.
- Transfer them to a cookie sheet (I cover the sheet with parchment paper first) and place in the oven 3 minutes to make sure they are fully cooked in the center. (Yes, you preheated an oven for all of 3 minutes baking. Do you want salmonella? Just do it!).
- Serve the chicken nuggets on a bed of raw spinach leaves and drizzle the Ginger Dressing over the top or put in a bowl to serve on a platter.
- You can thank me later.