1/1 Photo of Golden Sesame Braid
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
I used to make this bread all the time. It's very time consuming though. Another recipe from "Country Fair Cookbook"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- 2Combine milk, shortening, sugar and salt.
- 3Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- 4Sprinkle yeast on lukewarm water, stir to dissolve.
- 5Add yeast, 3 eggs and 2 cups of flour to milk mixture.
- 6Beat with mixer on medium until smooth, about 2 minutes, occasionally scraping the bowl. Alternatively beat by hand with spoon until batter is smooth.
- 7Gradually add enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that leaves the sides of the bowl.
- 8Turn out on to floured surface and knead until smooth and satiny, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 9Put dough in lightly greased bowl, turn to grease both sides.
- 10Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 11Divide dough into 6 equal pieces.
- 12Roll each into 12" (30cm) strips.
- 13Braid 3 strips together to form a loaf, continuing with remaining 3 strips for second loaf, place on separate greased baking sheets.
- 14Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 15Brush loaves with a glaze using 1 beaten egg and 1 tblsp of water.
- 16Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 17Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped.
- 18Remove from baking sheets; cooling on racks.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Golden Sesame Braid
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 588.8
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 112.1 mg
- Sodium 932.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 17.4 g